Saturday, January 18, 2014



Sweaters, Shawls, Socks and 'going cold sheep" 



So,  It's 2014 and time to make a change or two.  Not exactly new years resolutions, because I usually don't last very long with those.  I have decided to make this a year stash busting instead of my usual stash building.  I realize that I probably won't make it through the entire year without buying any yarn,  and I am allowing  for those purchases like needing one more skein of a specific color to finish a project.  But I don't plan to buy any yarn just because.  I have amended my original thought here,  I do want one exception if Knit Picks has a cyber monday sale (the yarn was seriously discounted).  

Today is January 18, 2014 and I think the impulse to check my usual shopping places is lessening a bit.  I am amazed that I tossed my usual stack of yarn catalogs without any serious desire to place an order.  It's a bit harder to walk away when I go to my lys, so I guess I will just have to limit how often I go.  It does help that I do have wonderful stash just a few feet away most of the time, lol.  

On the hooks and needles right now.......Just started a mystery crochet along with a few ladies from my monday knit/crochet group.  I started out thinking about using some kp palette but it was a bit thin so I went stash diving and found some burgundy sock yarn that has been in my stash for about a year.  It feels good and I like the way it it working up so far.  Not sure about this pattern to early to tell if I like it yet.  It it one of the three shawls that are currently ongoing.  Pics coming soon....

On the needles we have socks,  I got some fibernymph dyeworks yarn in a ravelry desash  that I am enjoying working up.  The pattern is  http://fiberfrenzy.net/category/pattern-of-the-month/ a pattern of the month on FiberFrenzy.net, the yarn is fibernymph dyeworks squoosh base, colorway finders keepers.  I may just keep these for me love the way they look so far.......

On a separate size one needle I have  regia deisgn line, pool colorway, and a pattern from ravelry.  I am trying out afterthought heel socks, a free pattern available on ravelry.  I like the pattern, but not liking the way the colors are lining up in the sock.  I liked it in the skein, but I think the sock would have looked better in a ribbed pattern.  I haven't done the heel yet, but I have put the waste yarn in and am working down the foot.  I like the pattern so far and can see a few pairs of socks in my future.  

Also on the needles is a test pattern shawl using my knit picks chroma, smoothie colorway...although these colors are not what I am usually drawn I love, love, love the way this yarn is working up.  can't wait to see this one finished. 

 
And last at the moment is my 30 day sweater, that has morphed into a slightly more than 90 day sweater,  I have one sleeve to go and it will be done (the stitching.....will still need blocking and buttons).  Not sure what happened here I love it, love the way it looks, I think once I didn't make the 30 day deadline I lost a little bit of interest.  But it's gonna get finished soon.......I want to be able to wear it.  

There are also a few finished items since my absence.   I have been working on an afghan for Hubby,  that is probably the biggest yarn monster to date.....not sure how much yarn I lost count of the skeins but I would guess between 15-20 5 and 6 ounce skeins....and it could use at least one more for the border.....calling it done for now as I am having difficulty finding another skein of yarn.  this is one of those exceptions to the cold sheep as it was an established pattern before January 1.   

Enough chatter, on to pictures..........



preemie hat made with bernat cotton tots sweet treats colorway
Royal Iris slouch hat, made with Fibernymph Dyeworks bounce base, peacock blue colorway




afghan for hubby, aka yarn monster 2...made with red heart soft mid blue, caron simply soft burgundy and charcoal heather., double strands, size j hook.  
sweater progress...one one sleeve to go...




half way through clue one of the mystery crochet along shawlette

afterthought heel sock 1 (heel side, with waste yarn)




afterthought heel, sock one top




fiber frenzy pattern of the month ribbed sock, made with siz 1.3 needles and fibernymph dyeworks squoosh base, finders keepers colorway

test shawl pattern, knit pciks chroma fingering, smoothie colorway and freia hand paints sport, firecracker colorway

No comments:

Post a Comment