Sunday, January 6, 2013

Once again life was demanding attention so it's been a little while since I have been here.    Lots of things going on the hook today, my needles are waiting patiently in the background. :)   I am working on a project that is very special to me so it has to be just right.  I want to make a gift for someone very dear to me that is facing a big challenge now and while I know an afghan won't take care of the problem,  it will let the person know they are in my thoughts.  At least that's what I hope anyway.  I have been planning this one in my mind for the better part of the last week.  After spending some time in the yarn isle letting the yarn talk to me I think I have the right colors for this project.  The next step and maybe just a difficult as the yarn choice was the pattern choice.  I started on the Catherine Wheel stitch, loved the pattern but quickly realized it is not the best use for the yarn as I want the yarn to flow.   I have been wanting to do that one for a while so I was a bit disappointed that it didn't work out for this project.





I want the colors and flow of this afghan to represent sunset.  So subtle shading and gentle flowing from one color to the next is what I feel will work best.  I have toyed with the idea of designing my own pattern and I think I will consider this more seriously after this project is done.  I want this one finished as soon as my fingers will allow and I don't think that will happen if I have to think about the design as well as stitching it.  So with the thought of something that I could blend the colors I went in search of patterns.  I have settle on the Prairie Star afghan available as a free pattern at red heart.com  I have been looking at this one for quite some time as well but I was more than a little bit intimidated by the number of small pieces.  I am not certain, but looking at the diagram it looks as if there are 208 individual parts to this afghan.  the good news is they go fairly quickly as far as I can tell.  The time consuming part seems to be joining the pieces together and of course weaving in those pesky ends!!  Not a fan of that part I am weaving as I go so not a lot to do later.


I started this on January 1, first big project of the new year.  I have completed and joined the 6 diamonds that make up the center star.  Just started working on the second and third colors  12 diamonds for color 2 and 18 for color three.  I am not sure about the yarn for color 3 yet,  it maybe a little to bright for the others. I will have to work up a few more diamonds to see if I like that one.  Anyway I suppose I should post one o two pics so here goes.....



center star...I want to work from dark to light ...at least that is the vision in my head , we will see if the yarn cooperates.....


No comments:

Post a Comment